Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Frugal Reality!

So--I LOVE MaryEllen's Best Press.  It smells awesome, it works great.  It does everything it says it's going to.  But I can't afford it. $50.00  a gallon translates to about 5 yards of fabric--6  or 7 if I hit a sale! (So, if you're looking for gift ideas....)

I make my  own starch!

I have a 16 oz spray bottle(yes, I use my empty MaryEllen's!)

 Fill with H2O--otherwise known as tap water!!
add 1 1/2 tsp corn starch --which is always in my kitchen anyway!
add 2-3 drops lavender essential oil--(If you're not already adding a couple of drops of this
        to your bath,  why not?)
   (do not use any citrus or other oils with any "color to them")


I  use lavender or geranium essential oils in mine, and find that the starch doesn't leave residue and the oils don't leave marks---
BUT  if you find that yours does, pour some out and add more water.  Or skip the Essential oils if you're worried about that.  I have no issues with flaking, Make sure to shake well before each use!

Makes a great and easy gift for any quilter or sewist-- add a fat quarter or two and make someone really happy!

20 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when I read the part about $50.00 being 5-6 yards of fabric. That's why I stopped coloring my hair!! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^ it's all about math isn't it??

    hahah
    xo
    eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad you shared this with me last year. i LOVE making my own starch. it smells so good with the lavender, too.

    it's good to be frugal, isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the smell of this starch. Where do I find lavender essential oil?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this. I'm moving overseas next year and didn't know how I would do with no starch. I can make it now! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I just started making my own soap, so maybe this is the next logical step...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lavendar, so will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thanks for this. It is like you gave all of us a Christmas gift. Could I put some lavender seeds into the bottom of the bottle do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful holiday. Hope to see you in the future. Lynn (from retreat)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been using this since I saw your recipe on Sew take a Hike and it is amazing! Starch is not a big thing in the UK and when I can find cans of starch it has an awful smell- this is lovely and has helped so much with all my gift sewing, especially linen x very grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great idea! Especially if it doesn't flake, as so may of them do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool! I have to give it a try. I can never bring myself to buy starch but lately I needed it for crochetted doilies. Thanks. I usually post on Mondays links that I love you are definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this. I just purchased Mary Ellen's and cringed at the price. Homemade always wins in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the recipe Tara :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the person who asked where to get essential oils: http://www.camdengrey.com/

    I used to be a soapmaker. Maybe you could split a bigger (more economical) bottle amongst a couple of quilters. Just be sure to buy bottles to split into, brown glass is best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the info I just wanted! Making starch spray on my own frugally! Thank you for sharing this! I am so making this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this, I had no idea you could make your own.
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tapioca Starch 1 tsp to 8oz of water is also a great alternative than buying that over priced can stuff. I just love it. 89cents for about a pints worth...goes a long way :)

    ReplyDelete