Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall is in the air!

I signed up for a summer mini quilt swap--my first of it's kind, and finally finished the mini quilt. Now that's it's fall, it doesn't seem right that I'm mailing a summer quilt, but my swap partner is in Texas and it probably still feels like summer there!


My co-innkeeper Alexis drew this picture on our chalkboard at work. We try to put fun quotes and seasonal pictures up there regularly and this one just spoke to me!

I don't know if you can read it but it says, "Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability," by Sam Keen. So with the imagery of an afternoon in a hammock with a book and iced tea, I made a quilt that looks just like it!


I tea stained it and kept it wrinkly to give it a vintage feel. I left all the applique edges raw and then washed it to give the edges a frayed look and to give the piece some depth. I'm very happy with how it turned out!


The chickens are getting bigger all the time. They are so funny and have little personalities and quirks that constantly make us giggle!


New jammie pants for my little man--I love making these, they're so stinking fast!

Blocks are arriving from my quilting bee--I've gotten Jenny and Victoria's--Thank you!! I'll show you as soon as I have a few more!

I'd like to start a second bee if anyone is interested. I still need 6 more quilters to fill it up! If you want in, please e-mail me your address, so I'll know you're committing!

6 comments:

  1. I love that quote...and your quilt rendition is great!

    I popped over from vintage swap to say hi and to let you know that I have a giveaway going on this week!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, cute pants! And I love your mini-quilt. Very creative and pretty!

    http://minivanlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quote, love the picture. The chickens are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, is that chicken fuzz like puppy fuzz? they are so cute, but I'm glad they're yours.

    I'll be finishing my block this weekend and will put up a picture. this is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your mini-quilt! so creative!

    it looks like you just free-motion quilted the words - yes? this is probably a dumb question (please forgive me, I'm still fairly new to quilting...) how do you 'lock' your stitches when you start (or stop) in the middle of the quilt??

    thanks!

    p.s. your chickens are great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making pants too. they are so quick and easy to personalize.

    Those chicks are so cute.

    ReplyDelete